HOW TO SAVOUR YOUR OVERRIPE TOMATOES
Prep time: 30 minutes Serves 6
Triple the recipe, if you want to feed a crowd.
4 medium tomatoes (the riper, the better)
1 large yellow onion, cut into ¾ inch squares
3 cloves garlic , crushed (or to taste)
2 T butter
2 cups/500 ml vegetable broth
Large handful of basil
Salt and pepper to taste
● Saute onions in butter for 20 minutes or so, until caramelized. Add salt while sauteeing. Add garlic, slowly browning it, during final few minutes.
● Meanwhile, score the tomatoes. Cut four slits in peel, stick in boiling water for 2 minutes, rinse in cold water and remove skin. (You can save the skin for our puttanesca recipe, mmm, coming soon.)
● Crush the tomatoes well. Add to onions. Add salt, if needed. Let simmer for a few minutes.
● Add broth and let simmer.
● Snip in basil, simmer 2 minutes and serve, with freshly ground pepper .